Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sell It All And Travel

     Today I made a list of things I am willing to sell. I gave that list to my friend who is more craigslist and eBay savvy than I. He is going to look up the cost of each of the items and get back to me. Although he will be going through item by item I really want to know the lump sum of money I can receive. Because I am anxious to add this to my budget.
     The more I think about this trip the more I realize the thing that is standing in my way most is a lack of funding. Which is why I came up with the idea of "selling it all and travel". At first the idea was scary because I am getting rid of some of my most prized possessions. And to be as honest as I can be there are certain things I won't sell, my guitar, a neon Brooklyn Brewing Co. sign, and my wristwatches to name a few. "Sell it all and travel" as my blog's domain says is not as easy as I thought it would be. Maybe "sell some and travel a little" would be a more apt title.
      I by no means will be "selling it all" in a literal sense. On paper I think I'd like to sell all my physical possessions, but when I start to really think of the implications I am more than hesitant. Instead I will be giving up opportunities (career, apartment, dog, graduate school) for something different (culture, relationships, views on life). My graduation plans being much different than most people makes me stand up taller.
      "What will you get out of the experience besides a pocket full of shells?" Is something a therapist said to me in reference to my wanting to go into the Peace Corps. He was correct then, and he would be correct if he said the same thing about my graduation plan now. I will not come back from this experience with any sort of marketable skills, or more money, or any more success, or a house, or a wife, or a family, or a car. So then, what will I have?

No comments:

Post a Comment